shining the light of God for all to see

Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Parable of the Clothes

Once there was a man who wore a nice suit of clothes. He was proud of the way he looked and felt that he had been a good steward with the money he had been given in his life. He was well respected and looked up to by many.

One day, the man came upon God, and God said to the man, "You have done well. You have been a good steward. But have you dressed yourself the best that you can? Look closer."

And the man looked and saw that his coat was faded and threadbare.

God said to the man, "I have prepared the finest robe of silk and satin, of brocade and embroidery, with the brightest and most splendid of colors. I want to give it to you. Would you like to wear it?"

The man looked at the robe and said, "Oh yes, please Lord, I would like very much to wear such a beautiful garment. What must I do to have it?"

"The way is easy," said God, "Take off the clothes you are wearing so that I may dress you with the finest things."

"But, God," said the man, "If I take off my jacket, they will see that my shirt is ripped and my pants are stained."

And God said, "Take it off."

So the man took off his jacket and revealed that his shirt was ripped and tinged with blood from the battles he had fought in his life. His pants were stained and the cuffs were covered with mud from his long journey. The man said, "I have done as you asked. I am ready for my new clothes."

And God said, "I know that was hard for you. I know it is painful to expose yourself in that way, but your new clothes are not for covering up your imperfections. You must take off the rest of your clothes."

"But God," said the man, "I have worn these clothes for many years. They are comfortable to me. They keep me warm and protect me."

And God said, "Do you believe that your new clothes will be better, warmer, more comfortable, and more beautiful than anything you have ever worn?"

"Yes," said the man, "I believe."

"Then take off the rest of your clothes," said God.

And the man removed his shirt and his pants and stood before God in his undergarments and said to God, "I have done as you asked. I am ready for my new clothes."

And God said, "I know that was hard for you. It was uncomfortable and took a great deal of courage. But the clothes I have prepared for you are fresh and new and will provide for all of your needs. You must take off your undergarments, too."

"But God," said the man, "If I take off my undergarments, I will be naked. I will be ashamed and embarrassed."

And God said, "Do you believe that what I have prepared for you will cover again your nakedness?"

And the man wept.

"Yes, I believe," said the man, "But this is greater than anything you have asked of me. I do not have the strength to do it by myself."

"Then I will send my son to strengthen you and help you," said God.

And God sent his son to help the man, and the man took off his undergarments and stood naked before God.

And God was pleased.

God dressed the man in his new suit of clothes, and the man praised God.

The man then went into the world and was admired by many. And when they asked him how he had received his beautiful garments and where they could get some, too, he led many people to God. The man loved his new clothes and was pleased with what had become of his life. He praised God daily for the beautiful clothes he wore and all he had been able to accomplish.

God saw all this and said to the man, "You have been faithful and a good steward of all that I have given you. I am pleased with what you have done, and I would like to give you far more."
And the man was overcome with joy and said, "Oh Lord, what must I do to receive these additional blessings?"

And God said, "Take off your clothes."

© Margie Remmers 2006

1 Comments:

Blogger Sebas_Mighty Soldier of KOG said...

constantly God will remove the lids in our life, to make us better person. Sometimes God will have to break us. A person that is not broken, God cant use.

December 8, 2007 at 1:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home