shining the light of God for all to see

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

One more step

Since starting my new job in town, I've been taking the train to work everyday. And it's been getting on my nerve. The mad rush every morning to secure a spot in the already fully-packed train, elbowing and squeezing my way in with thousand other passengers. Inconsiderate people who stands in the middle and not moves in, people who carries big, bulky bags shoving them in your back, up your face, and other body parts, people who uses a baby pram, carried a luggage, brings along a screaming child, people who stands at the door blocking the way, etc. They irrate the h*ll out of me. Tempers were highly strung and patience stretched to the utmost. Honestly, I am at my meanest and most unloving during the train ride every morning.

One day, while feeling very hostile and out of patience towards my neighbours in the MRT, the Holy Spirit asked me, "What do you think Jesus would do in this situation?" That started me thinking. I imagined Jesus in his robe (sorry, no way I can imagine my Lord in shirt and tie), squeezing alongside with us in the train. What would He do? I imagined him being squeezed and not retaliating. Maybe he would give up his seat. But that was the best my imagination can do. I mean, I WAS already being squeezed. And sometimes I would give up my seat too. What else could Jesus do that is extraordinary? So I told God, no idea. I dunno what Jesus would do. You tell me.

Suddenly, the story of how Jesus got into a boat to preach came to mind. And God asked, why do you think Jesus got into a boat in the first place? [gulp] I never saw it this light before. Jesus gave up his place. He went all the way out to give up his place. When there's no more space on land, he got into a boat.

Matt 13:2 - A large crowd soon gathered around him, so he got into a boat. Then he sat there and taught as the people stood on the shore. (NLT)

Maybe in a train, I can't do that - get into a boat or climb up the pole(!). But at least I can move one more step in, ungrudging, without complaining, with love for my neighbours. Because God has already showed me His best example.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home